Thursday, June 22, 2006

http://www.thedustyfoot.com/home.html

Interesting tids
1. The computers in this internet cafe use mozilla fire fox
2. Mars bars are a dollar each
3. The kids come up to you and whisper agajupa. They all want your agajupa (water bottle).
4. Whenever we go out to the villages we are secretly followed by clandestine Rwandese soldiers ordered to protect mozungus. This is because the government is intent on maintaining a good relationship with the west.
5. Hakuna matata is part of the Rwandese vocabulary.
6. You can get a fine for going over the speed limit.
7. A young man in Kabare II was wearing a t-shirt with "Saddam Hussain" in bright neon green letters plastered all over it. I don't think he knew who Saddam is.
8. We eat awesome fruit salad in the morning. Passion fruits, bananas, papayas, pineapple. Sooo good.

Still have the sore-throat. It's not getting worse or better, although it doesn't hurt as much in the evenings. Sometimes, I feel incapable of interacting with the people here. Moments like these I feel stuck and wanting to retreat into the background. The thing is if you're white, you're automatically the center of attention wherever you go. I'm kind of used to this already, but it's more heightened here because I'm not a familiar face. Occasionally, it's a test of patience. When some random person on the street asks me where I am from, I just say Cameroon and wait for the look of disbelief. They laugh like I'm obviously lying to them. Then I just smile and walk away. Little do they know that this muzungu boy went to their schools, but has recently been spoiled living in America.

It's interesting to think that it is just pure luck/chance to have been concieved/born where you were. For all I know, I could have been born in a little Rwandese village outside Kigali and I would be a very different person. So, what makes some people think that a particular person's life, based on geography or culture, worth more than someone else's life? Just something interesting to ponder... or not.

1 Comments:

Blogger ~Frooghi's~ said...

Hi Ramin Joon!!!

Sorry about your sore-throat, and hope you're feeling better. Remember, salt water is your best friend :) Gargle twice a day!!!

:) take care of yourself :)

4:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home